NLP Research Engineer (Medicine)
The University of Zurich together with the University Hospital of Zurich are embarking on a concerted effort to develop informatics programs to advance biomedical research and healthcare using cutting edge computational approaches. As part of these efforts, the Chair of Medical Informatics (https://krauthammerlab.ch) investigates topics in clinical data science and translational bioinformatics, such as knowledge discovery from Big Data sources (Electronic Medical Records, health registries) as well as the analysis of human Omics data.
We are currently looking for a motivated NLP Research Engineer (Medicine). The position is jointly funded by the Comprehensive Cancer Center Zurich (https://www.usz.ch/en/clinic/comprehensive-cancer-center-zuerich/) and is focused on the extraction of structured information from text, as well as medical text generation. The position is part of a strategic effort to foster the digitalization of the cancer center, which aims at making better use of routinely collected data for research and clinical practice.
The candidate will be involved in other ongoing lab activities (particularly the supervision of junior lab members and some teaching activities). We offer an interdisciplinary research environment, the possibility to direct your own research, access to state-of-the-art computational resources infrastructure (further details are listed below) and a formidable place to grow academically
- PhD or Masters degree in computer science (focused on machine learning and/or NLP), optimization, statistics, applied math, computational biology or closely related discipline.
- Strong publication record with at least one first-author paper in top-tier conferences (such as ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, COLING, CoNLL, SIGIR, AAAI, ICDM, ICML, NeurIPs, , etc.)
- Proficient in Python and the scientific computing stack (SciPy, Numpy, Scikit-learn, pandas)
- Proficient in one of the deep learning frameworks (PyTorch, Tensorflow)
- Prior health- and biology- related computational work is a plus
What we offer
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure (computational resources), clinical datasets and medical expertise domain-knowledge (excellent medical doctors and research scientists)
- Ability to make a real and tangible impact in healthcare research
- Solve real-world problems and improve hospital-related processes and workflow
- Stimulating research environment and a place to grow academically and professionally
- Outstanding working conditions at the University of Zurich (more details at https://www.staff.uzh.ch/de/personal/willkommenspaket.html).
Applicants should submit their application to Claudia.Stenger@usz.ch